Thursday, February 5, 2009

So proud I had to fight back tears!

The boy had his conferences at school last night. I am never very worried when I go to these things. He is pretty well behaved. Other then the homework delema we had a few years ago, he does well and is happy. So when the teacher started whispering in the hall way that she had something she needed to talk to us about I got worried. *GULP* What did he do? Or not do? OMG ... gonna faint ... ok pulled back together. LOL

So when we got into the room she says to me that she thinks he should be in the advanced math classes next year. I thought "Is that all?" LOL I was worried it was something I didn't know about! Then she asked if I new he placed high enough for the highly gifted program for junior high school next year.
Yes ....
Did I plan on letting him go?
HA HA HA Ummm ... I kinda already fill out all the paperwork weeks ago when we first found out!
She seemed very relieved. She had no idea how relieved I was! She informed us that only 6 students from his school qualified and only 3, one of those is him, will be going next year. Out of those 6 kids that placed high enough the boy was 3rd. THIRD!!! And the child that placed second was only 1 point higher then he was! AMAZING! I was pleasantly surprised! How fantastic is that?!?!?! I did my best to fight back the tears of pride that swelled up and threatened to give me away as a sappy momma. But then she is a mother of a boy close to my boys age. So I am sure she would have understood my corny tears.

Then she told me a story about the girl who had placed first in the school. She is new to the country and struggles with English sometimes. During a grammer game she thought she had done something to hurt her teams chances. She didn't. She just misunderstood the card she picked. But she was upset and began to cry. My son got up from his seat, went to her, sat down next to her, and talked to her until she stopped crying and cheered her up. The tears could easily start flowing again! OMG! My lip must have been trembling cause I could barely speak. My voice was just gone from trying not to cry! The teacher commented on how most kids would have ignored her crying or made fun of her. That is just the way some kids are at that age. But not my boy ... nope ... he did his best to make her feel better. The teacher seemed just as impressed as I was.

She commented on how she had been thinking about what the kids in her class would be in 15 years. She thinks the boy will be an engineer for some place like NASA! I laughed and told her with all the Star Wars and Star Trek and Stargate that boy watches it would not suprise me one bit! LOL How could you not be proud of your son when he is a cheif engineer, on a starship, for Star Fleet? I mean how many mother's get to say that? HA HA HA OK so it may not be on a starship. But for as much as he loves math and sci-fi it would not be a far stretch to be working for NASA some day. A mama can hope right?

1 comment:

Chantelle said...

You are doing a wonderful job, raising a wonderful boy! That is so sweet that he comforted the girl who was upset! He will make someone a wonderful husband some day..when he's like 40 and you start letting him date hehehe ;)