Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I am frustrated!!!

This is my last week of class for this semester. I am getting to the point where I can not wait for this Chemistry class to be OVER! The material is hard but I can work through that. It is the behavior in the class and the teacher that is making me stress out. I don't need more stress!

There are a group of students in my class, roughly half of the class, that are disruptive. They talk constantly through out class, making jokes and not paying attention. They interrupt the teacher often in the middle of lecture. I don't mind so much when it is to ask a question to clarify something that they do not understand. I think there is a more polite way to do it. But maybe I am an old fuddy duddy. But I can not stand when they interrupt for stupid and often smart a$$ comments about the teacher, the class, the material or some way to wiggle out of doing the work.

Today one of them asked if we were the worst class that my teacher had and he said "Yes you are." AHHH! I was so mad! I sit quietly and make every effort to pay attention and learn the material to the best of my ability. My education is important to me and I am really trying. It frustrates me to have that focus interrupted. It frustrates me to be thrown into the general "bad" class comment. I just want it to be done.

I don't blame my teacher for being angry ... let's face it he is just flat out pissed off lately. I can see why. I feel his frustration and it does bother me. Today those other students were trying to get him to let them take the final Thursday morning during our morning lecture. The final is scheduled for Thursday afternoon during our lab hours so that we have the entire 2 hours to take the final and do well. So after class this morning and by the time I made it home my teacher had sent out a mass email to all the students in my class. Here is a copy of the email he sent out.

"Due to the lack of respect for me and the people who are trying to learn the material, I will not give any final exam early during lecture unless everyone is ready so I can watch you take the final. There are no exceptions to this. Matt"

I want to send him an email back, separate from the original email of course so no one else can read it. I want to tell him that I want to have Thursday morning for review and that I am not comfortable expressing that in front of those other students.

My birthday has got to get better soon right?

1 comment:

Chantelle said...

I'm sorry- I hope the rest of your birthday was better.

If it makes you feel any better- it's typical behavior when you mix a class of old/young/younger, etc. Our nursing class ages ranged from 19-60. It was HELL in there. We were told that we were by far te worst class they had ever had, and the program had been running for 24 years at the time. Of course it wasn't all of us- it's unfortunate when you do get lumped into the masses of those that don't care of put forth the effort. I would totally send the teacher an email if I were you- no one else will speak up on your behalf :)